Music is central to our worship, and St John’s has a dedicated choir, who lead the singing at many of our services. At present, the choir lead the singing of hymns and the sung parts of the mass, as well as singing the plainsong mass propers.
After the pandemic restrictions are lifted our Director of Music is looking forward to implementing a Choir Development Plan, to recruit new members, widen the choir’s repertoire, and further enhance our worship.
If you are interested in joining the choir, please contact Daniel Mansfield (using the button below).
This fine instrument was built by William Hill and Son of London, and installed in 1867 and was installed in St John's in time for the consecration in 1871. Hill organs have a distinctive voice, perhaps due to William Hill's study of continental organ styles, characterised by a bright, singing tone, with fiery reeds and brilliant upper work.
in 1895, some additions were made: the Bassoon on the Choir organ, and string tone pipes on the Swell organ, installed in a miniature swell box behind the main box. The tubular-pneumatic key and stop actions would also appear to date from 1895. There is evidence that for a certain period, a detached console was installed in the Lady Chapel. However, in 1905, it was decided revert to the original (and current) position within the organ case, possibly due to mechanical problems.
Essential releathering work was carried out by David Wells Organ Builders of Liverpool between 1991 and 2009. The organ case was designed by G.F. Bodley, who often commissioned work from Hill.
The Organ at St. John's is one of the few organs by Hill which remain more or less unaltered, a factor which led to the granting of an Historic Organ Certificate in 2009.
Hear our organ in the video below: