Help us restore this Bodley masterpiece by joining
The Friends of
St John the Baptist, Tuebrook
Patron: The Right Reverend and Right Honourable the Lord Hope, KCVO
150 Years of Witness
On Saturday 20th May 1871, the Parish Church of Saint John the Baptist, Tue Brook was consecrated. It was built at the sole expense of Mrs Eliza Ann Reade, the wife of the first incumbent, to serve the developing village of Tue Brook.
The Church was designed by G.F. Bodley and is an important survival of his work. It is one of the most important Victorian buildings in Liverpool and is of national significance. As well as being a Bodley masterpiece, it contains important stained glass by William Morris and Burne-Jones, as well as works by C.E. Kempe and Hare. The statue of St John, which is a memorial for the fallen of the Second World War, was designed by Sir Ninian Comper and modelled on his son.
For the Next 150 Years
The Church of St John the Baptist, Tue Brook, continues to witness to the Gospel in what is now a radically different community from that of 150 years ago. Tue Brook is now an area where there is significant deprivation and the Parish Church stands as it always has at the centre of the community, giving a glimpse of heaven with its richly decorated interior and beautiful traditional liturgy.
Sadly, the fabric of the Church has seen better days and requires significant restoration especially to the decorative scheme. The present congregation love Saint John’s and care for it diligently, but do not have the resources to repair this jewel of Victorian gothic decoration, which is why we are asking for your help to sustain this nationally-important building for the next 150 years of its life.
£4 per month, £48 per annum
Fr Ralph T. Brockman was Vicar of Tue Brook for 29 years from 1896 until 1925. He had to contend with open hostility from the then Bishop. He has a memorial in the Chancel.
As a Brockman Member of the Friends of Saint John, you will help to preserve St John’s for the future and receive:
History Guide to Saint John’s
Print of an Image of St John’s Church
Invitation to Annual Friends’ Mass and Reception
Invitation to talks, concerts, and social events
£8.71 per month, £104 per annum
Canon Frank Sampson was the longest-serving Vicar of Tue Brook, for some 48 years between 1946 and 1994. He has a memorial in the South Aisle.
As a Sampson Member of the Friends of Saint John, you will help to restore St John’s and receive all the benefits of a Brockman Member, plus:
Invitation to Annual Sampson Dinner and Talk
Complimentary Admission to other Friends’ events
Exclusive membership pin badge
Discount on Friends’ products
Reade Benefactors Circle
Mrs Eliza Ann Reade
The Church was built at the sole expense of Mrs Reade, for the sum of £25,000, which in today’s money is approximately £2.5 million.
Join the Reade Benefactors’ Circle
Those who are able to contribute larger sums to the restoration and maintenance of Saint John’s are invited to contact the Vicar, Fr Nicholas Johnson SSC, directly to discuss joining the Reade Benefactors’ Circle.
All Friends are regularly prayed for at our services and are always most welcome to join us at Saint John’s for worship, fellowship, or simply to visit.